Special events are a great option to get APHA classes added to a discipline specific event such as a Hunter/Jumper Show, Ranch Horse Show, Team Roping, Reining, Cutting, Dressage Show, etc. Please follow steps 1-7 above after reading the below requirements. Special events are applied for like any other type of APHA show, which can be found on the Show Forms page. Special Events do not have to abide by the show mileage restrictions if they do not hold any of the same classes as any show that is within 250 mi on the same date/weekend.
In order to be considered a Special Event, classes cannot be chosen from more than 3 Special Event Categories. If your desired class list does cover more than 3 Special Event Categories, consider holding a 1 or 2 Judge Show instead. There are no requirements as to what divisions must be held for each class or a minimum set of classes.
To make adding APHA classes to an existing show easier, APHA allows “Restricted Judges” instead of APHA carded judges to be used for judges who are only judging certain disciplines. The Restricted Judge must be an APHA member and carded in the discipline association of the classes they are judging ((ie: USDF for Dressage, NCHA for Cutting, NRHA for Reining, NRCHA for Working Cow Horse, ARHFA for Judged Roping, USEF for Over Fences, etc).
Special events do not maintain priority dates from year to year, so should be applied for as soon as possible each year.
Special Event Categories
- Special Event Category I: Halter, Ranch Horse Conformation, Color Class, Longe Line, (Yearling and 2YO), Longe Line (3YO & Older) (Zone 12, 13, 14)
- Special Event Category II: Barrel Racing, Pole Bending, Stake Race, Goat Tying
- Special Event Category III: Reining, Ranch Reining, Western Riding, Ranch Riding, Trail, Ranch Trail, Yearling In-Hand Trail, Yearling & 2-Year-Old In-Hand Trail, 3 Year Old & Older In-Hand Trail (Zone 12, 13, 14), Utility Driving
- Special Event Category IV: Hunter Hack, Hunt Seat Equitation Over Fences, Jumping, Preliminary Working Hunter, Working Hunter
- Special Event Category V: Breakaway Roping, Tie-Down Roping, Steer Stopping, Team Roping Heading, Team Roping Heeling, Timed Team Roping, Ranch Sorting, Team Penning, Cutting, Ranch Cutting, Working Cow Horse, Ranch Cow Work
- Special Event Category VI: Hunter Under Saddle, Pleasure Driving, Western Pleasure, Ranch Pleasure, Ranch Rail Pleasure
- Special Event Category VII: Showmanship, Hunt Seat Equitation, Western Horsemanship
- Special Event Category VIII: Ranch Horse Conformation, Ranch Pleasure, Ranch Trail, Ranch Reining, Ranch Cow Work, Ranch Riding, Ranch Rail Pleasure
- Special Event Category IX: Mounted Shooting
- Special Event Category X: Dressage
- Special Event Category XI: Competitive Trail Horse
Full guidelines for a Special Event can be found at SC-096. Special Paint Events and JU-000.C. Special Event Judges in the current APHA Rulebook.