APHA Awards & Standings
The APHA represents a wide variety of horse-lovers with a wide variety of interests. If you are competitive by nature, check out these awards designed just for you! These awards are won by showing your Paint horse in APHA-Approved competition. Research performance records to discover what perpetual awards your Paint has won, and visit the links below to see the current and past Year-End Award standings! You can find the qualifications for each of these awards described in the current APHA Rulebook.
APHA Perpetual Awards
- Register of Merit– awarded to the horse who has won 10 or more points in one event.
- Superior Event– awarded to the horse who earns 50 or more points in one event.
- Champion– awarded to the horse that earns at least 40 points in a minimum of five shows, contests, or races and under five or more judges. Of those 40 points, 16 points must be earned in halter classes (with a minimum of 10 points won in “A” or “B” class shows), and 16 points must be earned in performance classes. To qualify, the horse must earn at least five points in two different categories of performance events.
- Performance Versatility– awarded to the horse earning five ROMs in at least four Categories and a Superior award in one of the five events in which an ROM was earned. (excluding Categories I, VIII, & XI).
- Superior All-Around– awarded to the horse earning a Superior Award in Halter and in one performance event, as well as ROMs in four of the five performance categories. (excluding Categories VIII and X through XII)
- Supreme Champion– awarded to the horse named Grand Champion in at least five APHA-approved A shows under five or more judges. This horse has won at least 80 points in recognized halter and performance classes in APHA-approved A class shows or in races recognized by the APHA. At least 30 of those points have been won in halter classes, and at least 50 in performance events. No more than 10 points may be counted in one performance event. The horse must have earned at least one ROM in Categories II-IV and IX, have earned at least four racing points and have run at least one race with an official speed index of no less than 80.
APHA Year End Awards
- Zone Top 5– recognizes the top five horses in each of the regional zones, based on total points earned within the respective zone the horse is owned in during the calendar year (Excluding WS Points). Exhibitor does not have to live in the zone.
- Honor Roll– awarded to the 10 horses earning the most points in each event during the calendar year. In order to be eligible for the award, a minimum of ten points must be earned. Individual age divisions in halter and performance events will be recognized; however, awards will only be presented to the overall age division winner of each event (Excluding WS Points).
- Ranch Horse High-Point
- Top 20– awarded to the top 20 open horses and top 10 open solid-paint bred horses who have the 20 highest pointed shows (each “show” is one judge) during the calendar year (maximum of 20 APHA-approved shows will count towards total points, a judge can only be counted from two shows, and WS points do not count towards this award). Minimum of 8 points needed to qualify.
- Rookie of the Year
- Novice Youth
- Novice Youth Rookie by Zone
- Leading Sires List
- Previous Year-End Standings can be viewed HERE