Paynt Points

Proposed APHA incentive program Paynt Points aims to foster growth & reward exhibitors

APHA unveiled plans for Paynt Points, a proposed competition incentive program designed to help grow shows and directly reward exhibitors. In the Paynt Points program, APHA will award cash payouts biannually for all Youth and Amateur points earned at APHA-approved shows.

The proposed Paynt Points structure and goals were unveiled March 1 at the 2024 APHA & AjPHA Leadership Gathering in Fort Worth, Texas. CEO David Dellin outlined the program, development strategy and how it can help a majority of Youth and Amateur exhibitors earn cash rewards. The APHA Board of Directors ultimately has final voting discretion on the program, and they’ll cast votes later this year following member feedback.

Paynt Points—Proposed Structure

  • All Youth & Amateur points earned at APHA-approved shows will earn per-point payouts. This includes Novice and Walk-Trot categories. All APHA-approved shows, including the APHA World Championship Show, Halter Million, National Shows and zone/regional club competitions, are included.
    • Paynt Points does not replace Breeders’ Trust.
  • Biannual payouts will be made to the horse owner/lessee at the time the points were earned.
  • APHA will guarantee a portion of the Paynt Points purse annually, funded through investments. The remaining purse money is funded by an additional $2 per entry fee charged to all entries in all divisions.
  • The inaugural Paynt Points payout is estimated around $10 per point.
  • Participation is automatic—no additional opt-ins are required.
  • Proposed launch date is January 1, 2025.


According to data about participation in APHA-approved competitions, only about 20 percent of horses show exclusively in Open classes. The remaining 80 percent also enter Youth and/or Amateur classes, too. Designing Paynt Points around Youth and Amateur points benefits the majority of horses while keeping proposed point values at a meaningful level.

Based on 2022 show data, more than 3,700 horses of the 4,655 that participated in APHA-approved events would have been eligible for a Paynt Points payout. And because Paynt Points is not limited to specific events, exhibitors around the world can earn meaningful payouts for minimal added investment. A primary goal is to provide greater incentives to own and show Paint Horses, which can help stimulate entries, regional clubs, breeding, sales, training and more.

Paynt Points Examples

  • Exhibitor A
    • Shows at a 4-judge POR in 4 classes; earns 16 points (1 point/judge in each class)
    • Additional $2 entry fee = $32 total additional expense
    • Earns approximately $160 in Paynt Points (16 x est. $10/point)
  • Exhibitor B
    • Shows at 4-judge POR in 8 classes; earns 32 points (1 point/judge in each class)
    • Additional $2 entry fee = $64 total additional expense
    • Earns approximately $320 in Paynt Points (32 x est. $10/point)
  • Exhibitor C
    • Shows to 30 judges at 8 shows, generating a total of 178 entries; earns 136 Novice Amateur points
    • Additional $2 entry fee = $356 total additional annual expense
    • Earns approximately $1,360 in Paynt Points (136 x est. $10/point)


Share Your Thoughts

Questions or comments? Email


[Reprinting all or part of this news release is permitted, so long as credit is given to the Paint Horse Journal and a link provided back to]


About APHA

The American Paint Horse Association is the world’s second-largest international equine breed association. Since it was founded in 1962, APHA has registered more than a million horses in 59 nations and territories. APHA promotes, preserves and provides meaningful experiences with Paint Horses. Learn more at