The following rule change proposals, which were passed by APHA elected state directors, will go into effect April 1, 2023.
The modifications include a new provision (in addition to existing RG-070.E rules) that provides Regular Registry status to a horse with one APHA parent that also has at least one Paint trait and two or more Paint pattern genes. Gaits for ranch rail pleasure are defined more clearly, judged roping is added to the list of APHA Restricted Judge classes, and submission procedures for show producers are outlined for more consistency.
Rules going into effect April 1, 2023:
- CONTROL NUMBER: RG-050– Simplifies and removes duplication of information in the existing RG-050 rule for enhanced readability and comprehension.
- CONTROL NUMBER: RG-070 – Allows horses with multiple Paint pattern genes and at least 1 Paint trait to be classified as Regular Registry horses.
- CONTROL NUMBER: RG-110 –Simplifies and clarifies verbiage in the existing RG-110 rule for enhanced readability and comprehension.
- CONTROL NUMBER: SC-045– Removes the restriction that a judge may only be used twice when tabulating an exhibitor’s Top 20 award.
- CONTROL NUMBER: SC-090 – Establishes the same submission deadlines for show approval applications for all show producers regardless of state/province/country and entry deadline.
- CONTROL NUMBER: SC-125 – Allows show producers to submit score sheets to APHA electronically.
- CONTROL NUMBER: SC-160-1 – Clarifies submission of score sheets in all scored classes by judges to show management and suggests the timing of the scoresheet posting to be after each class.
- CONTROL NUMBER: SC-205– Encourages exhibitors to show away from the middle of the arena where the judges stand in hunter under saddle.
- CONTROL NUMBER: SC-302-1– Changes language to be more user-friendly for exhibitors, show management and judges.
- CONTROL NUMBER: SC-303– Defines the required gaits for ranch rail pleasure.
- CONTROL NUMBER: SC-303-1 – Changes language to be more user-friendly for exhibitors, show management and judges.
- CONTROL NUMBER: AM-015– Updates the rule to reflect the current methods APHA employs to process showing eligibility cards.
- CONTROL NUMBER: JU-000– Adds Judged Roping to the list of APHA Restricted Judge classes.
A summary of rules passed at the 2023 APHA Convention is available here or at apha.com/rule-books.
[Reprinting all or part of this news release is permitted, so long as credit is given to the Paint Horse Journal and a link provided back to apha.com.]
The American Paint Horse Association is the world’s second-largest international equine breed association, registering more than a million horses in 59 nations and territories since it was founded in 1962. APHA promotes, preserves and provides meaningful experiences with Paint Horses.