If you have a Paint reining horse and dreams of competing for the title of APHA world champion—along with more than $40,000 added in Challenge classes—APHA World Show qualification is made extra easy with the following National Reining Horse Association events. These NRHA shows count toward the qualification requirements for the 2020 APHA World Championship Show.
Qualifying for the APHA World Show isn’t hard—simply compete at a minimum of two approved events (or pay $1,000 buy-in per show), and your horse is qualified to compete in ANY class and eligible division at the APHA World Show; the 2020 World Show takes place September 21 – October 4, 2020 in Fort Worth, Texas. Special qualification exceptions apply to certain classes (no qualification is required for participation in added-money challenge classes, for instance), but all world championship events require qualification by participation. The qualification period for the 2020 Open/Amateur World Show is June 1, 2019, through May 31, 2020; no qualification is required for the AjPHA Youth World Championship Show, which takes place June 22 – July 5, 2020.
Any APHA-approved show counts toward qualification for the APHA Open/Amateur World Show, but we’ve made it easier for reiners by including the following NRHA events.
2019–2020 NRHA Shows Approved for 2020 APHA World Show Qualifying Purposes
(June 1, 2019 – May 31, 2020)
Each one of these shows count for a minimum of one show towards qualification. Unless otherwise noted on the APHA show calendar, these shows are approved only for APHA World Show qualification, not APHA points.
- June 13-23, 2019 NRHA Derby, Oklahoma City, OK
- July 24–31, 2019 RMRHA Summer Slide, Denver, CO
- July 22-28, 2019 Reining By The Bay, Woodside, CA
- August 1-4, 2019 EPRHA Fire Cracker Classic, Logan Township, NJ
- August 26-September 1, 2019 Tulsa Reining Classic, Tulsa, OK
- September 6-14, 2019 High Roller Reining Classic, Las Vegas, NV
- October 6-12, 2019 Low Roller Reining Classic, Nampa, ID
- October 17-27, 2019 Southwest Reining Horse Association Show, Ardmore, OK
- October 23-27, 2019 The Challenge, Burbank, CA
- November 28-December 7, 2019 NRHA Futurity, Oklahoma City, OK
- January 30, 2020 Southwestern Expo & Livestock Show, Fort Worth, TX
- January/February 2020 Winter Slide, Ardmore, OK
- February 2020 Florida Reining Classic, Jacksonville, FL
- March 2020 Cactus Reining Classic, Scottsdale, AZ
- April 2020 Indiana RHA Spring Fling Reining, Cloverdale, IN
- April 12-19, 2020 National Reining Breeders Classic, Katy, TX
- April 2020 CNYRHA Spring Slide, Morrisville, NY
- May 2020 Rein For The Roses, Elk Grove, CA
- May 2020 Carolina Classic, Mill Spring, NC
Additional international NRHA competitions are also approved — click the link for details.
To print a list of shows, click HERE.
Unless otherwise noted on the APHA Show Calendar, these shows only count toward APHA World Show qualification, not APHA points. Each show counts for at least one show toward qualification requirements.
For complete qualifying guidelines, visit apha.com/oawcs/qualifiers.
[Reprinting all or part of this news release is permitted, so long as credit is given to the Paint Horse Journal and a link provided to apha.com.]
The American Paint Horse Association is the world’s second-largest international equine breed association, registering more than a million horses in 59 nations and territories since it was founded in 1962. Its mission is to inspire, nurture, promote and provide meaningful experiences to generations interested in preserving the versatile Paint Horse.