The Paint Horse Journal and Chrome magazines swept the top honors for equine association publications at the recent American Horse Publications Equine Media Awards. The magazines, which are both produced by the American Paint Horse Association, swept the General Excellence categories for association publications under 15,000 circulation and over 15,000 circulation, in addition to earning multiple other honors in the contest.
The 2020 Equine Media Awards competition for material published in 2019 was judged by 21 professionals and included 56 classes, 731 entries, and 111 contestants. The General Excellence Award is the most coveted honor for print publications. The entries are judged on the effectiveness of editorial content and design, and how well the publication meets its mission.
Chrome seeks to connect the American Paint Horse Association with Paint Horse enthusiasts and Western lifestyle aficionados via a shared love of beautiful Paint Horses and appreciation for Western culture and values. Chrome is provided free three times annually to all APHA members worldwide as a benefit of their APHA membership and is the official magazine of Mule Alley in the Fort Worth Stockyards.
The Paint Horse Journal connects readers to APHA through informative articles that help them become more educated horsemen, improve equine management, and strengthen the bonds readers share with their Paint Horses. It’s published six times annually.
Other honors earned by the Paint Horse Journal and Chrome in the 2020 AHP Equine Media Awards contest included:
- 2nd Place Publication Cover Page: Spring 2019 Chrome, photograph by Rachel Griffin, design by Jody Johnson
- 2nd Place Horse Care Single Article— Deworming Detailed by Alana Harrison, July/Aug 2019 Paint Horse Journal
- 2nd Place Service to the Consumer Single Article: Report It Right by Megan Brincks, July/Aug 2019 Paint Horse Journal
- Honorable Mention, Editorial Photograph: “Tuned to Beauty – Heavenly” by Shelley Paulson, Spring 2019 Chrome
- Honorable Mention, Personality Profile Single Article: “Tuned to Beauty” by Allison Armstrong Rehnborg, Spring 2019 Chrome
- Honorable Mention Instructional Single Article: On-Line by Rachel Griffin, Mar/Apr 2019 Paint Horse Journal
“We are beyond honored by having the Paint Horse Journal and Chrome sweep the General Excellence awards in this contest as the best publications produced by an equine association,” said Jessica Hein, editor-in-chief and APHA’s senior director of MemberCare and publications. “We love connecting with readers and exposing them to APHA through a shared love of Paints. Join our APHA family and connect with others who share your values through the pages of our publications.”
Subscribe or order individual copies of our publications at apha.com/phj/subscribe.