As long as people have shown horses, they’ve also wondered what judges really think. APHA gathered judges from around the country to share what really happens behind the clipboard. How We See It is a video series with words straight from the judges’ mouths. Watch Volume 1: Why Judging and Volume 2: Rules below. Keep an ear out for some of our favorite quotes:
- “Exhibitors need our full attention. I’ve been on their end. I know what it’s like.”
- “I want a plus one, plus, plus. Come on, baby, you can do it.”
- “I’m excited to find that winner, and everyone who walks in there, I think, I hope it’s this one. Bring it to me.”
- “We read our rulebooks over and over and over. We tab them, we underline them, we highlight them. You’ve got to be sharp on those rules.”
- “We might have way too much caffeine, but our goal is to go out there and give them their money’s worth. They deserve our utmost attention.”
- “My opinion, in time, will change the industry for the better. That’s what I want to do.”
The American Paint Horse Association is the world’s second-largest international equine breed association, registering more than a million horses in 59 nations and territories since it was founded. APHA creates and maintains programs that increase the value of American Paint Horses and enriches members’ experiences with their horses.