If reined cow horse events are your game, we’ve got great news for you when it comes to qualifying for the 2018 APHA World Championship Show. APHA has approved 20 National Reined Cow Horse Association events to count toward qualification requirements for the APHA World Show.
Qualifying for the APHA World Show is easy: just attend two APHA-approved events (which can include the ones noted below) during the qualifying period, June 1, 2017–June 4, 2018. If an exhibitor doesn’t attend at least two events for qualification, they can pay a $1,000 fee per show (up to $2,000) as “pay to play” World Show qualification. Only participation in the events—never points earned—factors into qualification.
The 2018 APHA World Show takes place September 19–30 in Fort Worth, Texas—immediately before the renowned NRCHA Snaffle Bit Futurity. The show also features cow horse challenge classes for Open and non-pro exhibitors that pays out more than $14,000 in added money; the challenge classes do not require horses to qualify to compete, but qualification will allow a horse to participate in any event at the World Show, including world championship classes in any discipline.
2017/2018 NRCHA Shows Approved for 2018 APHA World Show Qualifying Purposes
(June 1, 2017–June 4, 2018)
Each one of these shows count for a minimum of one show towards qualification.
Unless otherwise noted on the APHA show calendar, these shows are approved only for APHA World Show qualification, not APHA points.
- June 12-16, 2017 NRCHA Derby, Paso Robles, CA
- June 15-18, 2017 Colorado RCA Mountain High Horse Show & Bridle Spectacular, Estes Park, CO
- June 18, 2017 North Central RCHA Father’s Day Weekend Event, Randolph, MN
- June 30-July 2, 2017 Colorado Super Circuit, Pueblo, CO
- July 6-7, 2017 2017 Cowtown Fence & Boxing Challenge, Fort Worth, TX
- July 13-16 2017 East Coast Reined Cow Horse Classic, Murfreesboro, TN
- July 17-23, 2017 Northwest RCHA Summer Showdown, Powell Butte, OR
- July 19-23, 2017 Arizona RCHA Tall Pines Extravaganza, Flag Staff, AZ
- August 15–20, 2017 Southwest RCHA Pre-Futurity, Fort Worth, TX
- August 16-27, 2017 NSHA Pre-Futurity, Paso Robles, CA
- October 3–14, 2017 NRCHA Snaffle Bit Futurity, Fort Worth, TX
- October 28-31, 2017 SRCHA Fall Festival, Amarillo, TX
- February 9-17, 2018 NRCHA Celebration of Champions, Fort Worth, TX
- March 2018 Colorado RCHA March Madness, Loveland, CO
- March 2018 NRCHA Stakes, Las Vegas, NV
- April 2018 Colorado RCA Sagebrush, Loveland, CO
- May 18-20, 2018 Southern California RCHA Non Pro Triple Crown, Temecula, CA
- May 2018 Twisted Wire Derby & Horse Shows 1, 2 & 3, Livingston, MT
- May 2018 Southwest RCHA Wild Rag Cattle Classic, Fort Worth, TX
- May 2018 Colorado, RCA Drought Buster, McCook, NE
Details about the APHA World Championship Show are found at apha.com/oawcs. Questions about the World Show or qualification? Contact APHA Director of Show & Contest Holly Slaughter at email@example.com.
[Reprinting all or part of this news release is permitted, so long as credit is given to the Paint Horse Journal and a link provided to apha.com.]
The American Paint Horse Association is the world’s second-largest international equine breed association, registering more than a million horses in 59 nations and territories since it was founded. APHA creates and maintains programs that increase the value of American Paint Horses and enriches members’ experiences with their horses