Each year, the best of the best in the Paint world make the trek to Fort Worth, Texas, to compete for championship titles, bragging rights and more than $600,000 in prizes. A few elite exhibitors will earn recognition for their achievements with special awards that honor exceptional Paints that have come before them.
Special awards presented at the 2016 APHA World Championship Show include:
Scarlet Print Award—awarded to a mare that wins world championships in Amateur, Open and Youth divisions of a halter mares class in a single year
- Engraved trophy, courtesy the Jerry Engle family
Xtreme Ambition Award—awarded to a yearling stallion that wins world championships in Amateur and Open Yearling Stallions in the same year
- Custom Cowboy Bronze trophy, courtesy Danielle & Cheryl Vasi
What A Attitude Memorial Award—awarded to the world champion in Senior Western Riding
- Bronze trophy, courtesy Lauren Willis, Karen Qualls, Joy Davis & William Specht.
Too Sleepy for Candy Memorial Award— awarded to the world champion in Novice Amateur Western Pleasure
- Glass obelisk trophy, courtesy Susan Juroe
- $500 cash prize, courtesy Susan Juroe
The Gordon Griffin–Mister Redesigned Memorial Awards*—awarded to the world champions in Open Aged Geldings & Amateur Aged Geldings
- Custom Cowboy Bronze trophy, courtesy JT & Katie Mitchell and Sally, Maggie & James Griffin
World’s Fastest Barrel Horse*—awarded to the PBRIP horse with the fastest combined time from both PBRIP Sweepstakes (Regular Registy and Solid Paint-Bred) and Open World Championship barrel racing classes (Regular Registry and Solid Paint-Bred).
- Trophy barrel saddle, courtesy Elite Custom Saddles
Reserve World’s Fastest Barrel Horse*
- Special award, courtesy Elite Custom Saddles
A number of top-performing horses and exhibitors will also take home loads of great prizes for their sustained hard work and superior performances at the World Show, thanks to our all-around and high-point awards. They include:
- All-Around/Reserve Horse
- All-Around/Reserve Classic Amateur
- All-Around/Reserve Masters Amateur
- All-Around/Reserve Novice Amateur
- All-Around/Reserve Amateur Solid Paint-Bred
- All-Around/Reserve Solid Paint-Bred
- High-Point/Reserve Amateur Walk-Trot
- High-Point/Reserve Western Horse
- High-Point/Reserve English Horse
- High-Point/Reserve Exhibitor
- High-Point/Reserve Amateur Power Performance*
- Super Gelding/Reserve Super Gelding
- Oscar Crigler Cattle Award/Reserve Oscar Crigler Cattle Award
For more information on how these awards are tabulated, check out the award descriptions found in the 2016 APHA World Show Premium Book. See a list of prizes for each of these awards in the APHA World Championship Show Program, too!
*New for 2016
[Reprinting all or part of this news release is permitted, so long as credit is given to the Paint Horse Journal and a link provided back to apha.com.]
The American Paint Horse Association is the world’s second-largest international equine breed association, registering more than a million horses in 59 nations and territories since it was founded. APHA creates and maintains programs that increase the value of American Paint Horses and enriches members’ experiences with their horses.