The Northwest Paint Horse Championship show returned to Zone 1 for its second time to reward Paint Horse exhibitors with special awards and recognition in Albany, Oregon, August 13–16.
The championship took place in conjunction with the Zone 1 Show and was part of APHA’s pilot program in 2014. The show provided extra opportunities for exhibitors and horse owners in Zone 1, which encompasses Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Canada.
“The purpose of this show is to encourage new people to come out and give the show and the classes a try,” Show Manager Annie Surratt said. “The show was very well-received.”
The show offered 15 classes that provided Paint competitors with Northwest Championship awards and titles. Exhibitors and horse owners had to meet specific eligibility requirements to participate in the Northwest awards; click here to learn more about those requirements. APHA sponsored the awards for the classes. Champions received Gist Silversmiths trophy buckles and medallions were awarded to second- through tenth-place exhibitors.
“The classes were changed up from last year,” Annie said. “We had some people express they would have participated in the championship classes if there were equitation and horsemanship classes; that’s what we focused on this year. It’s about sticking to classes that encourage new people to participate.”
Unofficial class winners from the Northwest Paint Horse Championships include:
- Novice Youth Showmanship: JZA Justpurrzippinfun, exhibited by Montana Janssens, owned by Michelle Roney Janssens.
- Novice Amateur Showmanship: Whos Gamblin Now, exhibited and owned by Terri Guches.
- Youth Hunt Seat Equitation: JZA Justpurrzippinfun, exhibited by Montana Janssens, owned by Michelle Roney Janssens.
- Amateur Solid Paint-bred Hunt Seat Equitation: Ima Hot Skip, exhibited and owned by Keri Miller.
- Novice Amateur Hunt Seat Equitation: Whos All That, exhibited and owned by DeeAnn Smith.
- Green Western Riding: Just A Hint, exhibited and owned by Shannon Tomes.
- Green Trail: BR Invest To Impress, exhibited and owned by Ali Jorgensen.
- Junior Trail: Whos All That, exhibited by Laura Satern, owned by DeeAnn Smith.
- Novice Youth Horsemanship: JZA Justpurrzippinfun, exhibited by Montana Janssens, owned by Michelle Roney Janssens.
- Novice Amateur Horsemanship: A Spot Of Zip, exhibited and owned by Kathleen M Hugh.
- Open Barrel Racing: Newly Printed Cash, exhibited and owned by Kaitlynn Street.
Photography courtesy Stacy Judd Photography
[Reprinting all or part of this news release is permitted, so long as credit is given to the Paint Horse Journal and a link provided back to apha.com.]
The American Paint Horse Association is the world’s second-largest international equine breed association, registering more than a million horses in 59 nations and territories since it was founded. APHA creates and maintains programs that increase the value of American Paint Horses and enriches members’ experiences with their horses.