Photo courtesy Seth Petit, Video West Productions
Paints competing at the 2020 National Reined Cow Horse Association Derby and the 2020 National Cutting Horse Association Derby had an extra shot at a paycheck, thanks to APHA’s Chrome Cash program, which paid out more than $17,000 to APHA-registered horses at those two events.
NRCHA Derby took place June 7–14 in Scottsdale, Arizona, and it was the first NRCHA event to offer Chrome Cash classes—these events are run as a class within a class and are open only to APHA Regular Registry and Solid Paint-Bred horses. McSpyder Ranch generously added $2,000 to the Chrome Cash classes, which paid out a total of $2,625 to four competitors. Results follow, and were based on preliminary scores.
The next NRCHA event offering Chrome Cash is the Stallion Stakes in Las Vegas, Nevada, August 22–30. McSpyder Ranch has also added $2,000 to that event!
OPEN – NRCHA Derby
- $975 — Duallicious, owned by Becky L. Smith and ridden by Robert J. Smith III
- $650 — Flint McCullough, owned by McSpyder Ranch and ridden by Todd A. Bergen
NON PRO – NRCHA Derby
- $625 — Bet Hes Royal, owned and ridden by Abrian J. Harris Bass
NON PRO LIMITED – NRCHA Derby
- $375 — Shes Divine, owned and ridden by Kathleen J. Pinkley
NCHA Derby had 33 participating APHA horses and paid out more than $14,000; it took place July 10–29 in Fort Worth, Texas. Results were based on highest-advancing score in qualifying classes (3 or more entries).
The next NCHA Chrome Cash event is the Cascades Futurity in Redmond, Oregon, August 8–16.
5- & 6-YEAR-OLD OPEN – NCHA Derby
- $1,337 — Dual Reyish, owned by Billy Wolf and ridden by Austin Shepard
- $891 — Im Countin On Annie, owned by Holy Cow Performance Horses and ridden by Matt Miller
5- & 6-YEAR-OLD OPEN INTERMEDIATE – NCHA Derby
- $1,337 — Rusty Blue Metallic, owned by Twisted L Ranch and ridden by Russ Carroll
5- & 6-YEAR-OLD NON PRO – NCHA Derby
- $1,337 — Metallic Mania (pictured at top), owned by SMF Cutting Horses and ridden by Steven Finer
5- & 6-YEAR-OLD NON PRO INTERMEDIATE – NCHA Derby
- $1,337 — Cinderella Cat, owned and ridden by Kenli Marvin
4-YEAR-OLD OPEN – NCHA Derby
- $1,604 — Buonvino, owned by Billy Wolf and ridden by Beau Galyean
- $1,069 — Metallic Huntress, owned by Chris & Tracy Brengard and ridden by Matt Miller
4-YEAR-OLD NON PRO – NCHA Derby
- $1,337 — Two Hot, owned by Jeff & Jennifer Foland and ridden by Jennifer Foland
4-YEAR-OLD NON PRO INTERMEDIATE – NCHA Derby
- $1,069 — Two Hot, owned by Jeff & Jennifer Foland and ridden by Jennifer Foland
- $713 — Lourdes, owned by Beau Galyean and ridden by Ashley Galyean
4-YEAR-OLD AMATEUR – NCHA Derby
- $1,337 — R Maximillion Kat, owned by Gary & Michelle Reichart and ridden by Michelle Reichart
4-YEAR-OLD AMATEUR INTERMEDIATE – NCHA Derby
- $1,337 — Its MC Hammer Time, owned and ridden by Tye Baca