Passionate horsewoman Carla McMullen of Norris, Tennessee, will be honored June 30 as APHA’s 2022 Don Manuello Ring Steward Award winner.
Carla has always been a lover of animals, particularly horses, with that passion stemming from her father, Deloss Walker. She grew up in the horse-showing and breeding world, and if her fire and commitment are any indications, her passion has only increased since childhood.
She began working as a ring steward for APHA in 2015 and has served at all the APHA World Shows since then. Her ring-stewarding career also includes working with AQHA, NSBA and many other major events nationwide.
The Don Manuello Ring Steward Award, affectionately known as “The Manny,” recognizes the hard work and dedication of the unsung show arena heroes, the ring stewards. One deserving ring steward is chosen each year to honor their determination and commitment toward making shows a successful and sound environment for everyone.
Start making plans now to join us in celebrating Carla and other 2022 year-end award winners as well as the latest class of the APHA Hall of Fame:
- Lynn Simons
- Fred Tabor
- Pat Trebesch
- Craig Wood
- RH Mr Imprint
- Un Zip Me
The 2023 Hall of Fame Induction & Awards Ceremony takes place June 30 at 6 p.m. in the Round Up Inn in the Amon Carter Building at Will Rogers Memorial Center in Fort Worth, in conjunction with the APHA World Championship Show.
A Night of Honors
Other year-end award winners to be honored at the event include:
- Professional Horseman of the Year: Karen Banister
- High-Point Open Exhibitor: Karen Qualls
- Judge Emeritus: Mike Baker, Cindy Rucker, Maryanne Willoughby, Scot Jackson, Debby Letham, John Letham, Rick McLain, Bonnie Miller, Mike Short
- Distinguished Service Award: Karen Kennedy
- Top Five Stallion Owners: Iron Rose Ranch, Arcese Quarter Horses USA, Kevin Truax, Tanya Jenkins and Red Junction Production LLC
- President’s Gold Star Club: Southwest Washington PHC
- President’s Clubs of Distinction: Dutch PHC, Michigan PHC, Ontario PHC, PHC Slovak Republic, Ohio PHC (honorable mention) and Eastern Nevada PHC (honorable mention)
It’s sure to be a night to remember! Come celebrate these trailblazers with your APHA family.
Tickets are going fast—reserve your spot here.
[Reprinting all or part of this news release is permitted, so long as credit is given to the Paint Horse Journal and a link provided back to apha.com.]
The American Paint Horse Association is the world’s second-largest international equine breed association, registering more than a million horses in 59 nations and territories since it was founded in 1962. APHA promotes, preserves and provides meaningful experiences with Paint Horses.