Photo by Larry Williams Photography
APHA is making it easier to take a run at hundreds of thousands of dollars in its popular Breeders’ Trust program with some new modifications for the Breeders’ Futurity and Breeders’ Trust Pleasure Stakes in 2020!
The Breeders’ Futurity and Breeders’ Trust Pleasure Stakes classes, which take place annually at the APHA World Show, are a lucrative slate of classes exclusively for Breeders’ Trust-nominated foals. With the increased popularity of these programs, several modifications have been made to make it easier to be involved in these programs. New features include an extended mare nomination deadline for the Platinum and Gold Breeders’ Futurity and the addition of a Gold Breeders’ Futurity 3-Year-Old Trail class.
“We are constantly making modifications to improve these two programs for participating breeders and exhibitors. With some deadline changes and a new class in the Gold Division of the Breeders’ Futurity, 2020 is shaping up to be a great year,” Director of Breeders’ Trust/Breeders’ Futurity Matt Arias said.
Breeders’ Futurity Changes
- Platinum and Gold Mare Nominations deadline have been moved from December 31 of the breeding year to February 15 of the foaling year. The late fee schedule will not change.
- The Gold Division of the Breeders’ Futurity will see the addition of a 3-year-old trail class.
- The Gold Division Class entry fee will now be $700 per class. The initial payment fee of $250 will be due June 1. The second payment fee of $450 will be due on the same date as the World Show Pre-Entry deadline (August 7, 2020 for the 2020 World Show). Late fees will increase by $100 as well. 2020 entry forms will be available online in the spring prior to the initial deadline.
Breeders’ Trust Pleasure Stakes
- Starting in 2020, the entry fees for the 2-year-old classes will be split into two payment dates, similar to the Breeders’ Futurity. The first payment of $725 (includes the $225 administrative fee) is due June 1. The second payment of $500 is due by the World Show Pre-Entry deadline (August 7, 2020 for the 2020 World Show). Owners of enrolled horses will receive entry forms and information via email in the spring prior to the initial deadline.
- The Limited Rider Criteria for the 2-Year-Old Breeders’ Trust Pleasure Stakes classes has been simplified and is easier than ever to understand! Below is the updated criteria:
A Limited Rider is a rider that has not earned the following as of January 1 of the show year:
- An APHA Open World Champion, Open Reserve World Champion, Challenge Champion, Reserve Challenge Champion, Breeders’ Trust Stakes Champion or Reserve title between 2017-2019 in the same discipline in which they are exhibiting.
- The Limited Champion or Reserve Limited Champion of the Breeders’ Trust 2-Year-Old Pleasure Stakes classes will not be eligible to compete as a Limited exhibitor the following year in the same discipline in which they are exhibiting.
- Earned an AQHA Open World or Reserve World Champion title between 2017–2019 in the same discipline in which they are exhibiting.
- NSBA lifetime earnings cannot exceed $15,000.
- All Amateur and Youth are eligible (please see all eligibility criteria listed above). All Amateurs must own/lease their horse to be eligible to compete. Youth are not required to own/lease their horse to be eligible to compete.
Questions? Contact Director of Breeders’ Trust/Breeders’ Futurity Matt Arias at firstname.lastname@example.org.