Remington Park conducted four trials April 15 to determine the field for the Grade 1 American Paint Classic Futurity. DTL Josie Wales emerged with the top time in the last of four heats, leading a charge of six Paints trained by Dee Keener into the final.
Presented by the Paint Stallion Breeders’ Association, the American Paint Classic for 2-year-old Paints will take place April 30 at Remington Park in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. DTL Josie Wales easily handled his 350-yard trial, crossing the finish in :18.092 seconds over a fast track, defeating PHQ Goodbye Earl by a head. Rut Row was third, two lengths behind the winner.
Owned by Elizabeth Logan of Haskell, Oklahoma, DTL Josie Wales joins another one of her barnmates in the American Paint Classic. DTL Batter Up won the first trial for Logan, giving Elizabeth two in the final.
DTL Josie Wales is a 2014 sorrel solid gelding by Judys Lineage and out of the Corona Cartel (QH) mare Josie Cartel (QH). He was bred by Dean and Tonya Lester of Skiatook, Oklahoma.
Trainer Dee Keener saddled the top three finishers in the first trial and in the fourth trial. All six of those runners will be in the American Paint Classic. Here is the complete field, by order of qualifying time, with their trainer and trial heat:
1. DTL Josie Wales, :18.092, Dee Keener (trial 4)
2. PHQ Goodbye Earl, :18.114, Dee Keener (trial 4)
3. DTL Batter Up, :18.141, Dee Keener (trial 1)
4. DTL Fast Flyin Tex, :18.182, Dee Keener (trial 1)
5. Fade Shot, :18.296, Juan Aleman (trial 3)
6. Snooki, :18.321, Dee Keener (trial 1)
7. Dashin Secret, :18.325, Todd Lacey (trial 3)
8. Rut Row, :18.430, Dee Keener (trial 4)
9. A Regal Streak, :18.488, Durk Peery (trial 1)
10. Truck Yeah, :18.488, Cody McCart (trial 4)
Flash is an annual publication produced by the American Paint Horse Association that celebrates Paint Horses excelling in timed events—racing, barrels racing, roping, shooting and sorting/penning—along with the people who love them. Check out our free digital magazine at MyFlashyRide.com or pick up a printed copy of Flash at major events across the country. And check MyFlashyRide.com/news often for the latest news about fast, flashy Paints.