By Mary Cage
The revered honor of being a member of the APHA Hall of Fame is one dreamt of by many, but achieved by few. Now is your chance to nominate deserving horsemen and horses that you deem worthy of this distinction.
Nominations for consideration into the Hall of Fame are due to APHA by December 1, 2018. The Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will take place during the annual APHA Convention; the 2019 Convention takes place March 2 at 6:30 p.m at the DFW Marriott South in Fort Worth, Texas.
In celebration of its 50th anniversary in 2012, APHA set out to honor the breed’s most influential horses and horsemen by establishing the Hall of Fame. A five-member Hall of Fame Selection Committee developed the induction criteria and narrowed an overwhelming collection of candidates down to 50 inaugural inductees, chosen from the association’s long list of history-makers. Since then, more than 40 additional inductees have entered the Hall of Fame. The 2018 Hall of Fame class will include three couples and four horses.
The criteria for nominating horsemen and horses follows:
Criteria for People
- Nominees must have made outstanding and significant contributions to the APHA, the Paint Horse breed or the association over a significant period of years as a breeder, competitor or contributor.
- The contributions must have been influential to and supportive of the growth of the association and/or the breed.
- The nominee must have been a member of APHA during the period of time of the activities submitted on the nomination form.
- Nominees must have remained members in good standing throughout their APHA membership tenure.
- Nominee may be living or deceased.
Criteria for Horses
- Nominee must have made outstanding contributions to the American Paint Horse over a period of years as a sire, dam or competitor, or the nominee must have helped the association excel or brought extraordinary recognition to APHA and the American Paint Horse breed.
- Nominee must be a registered American Paint Horse or a member of the population of horses that were contemporaries of the original breed registration organizations.
- Nominee may be either living or deceased.
- Award will be presented to the last owner of record. Other parties involved in the horse’s success may purchase a duplicate trophy if they wish.
Nomination forms and more information about the nomination process can be accessed at http://apha.com/foundation/heritage-and-hall-of-fame/hof-nomination-info/. Send nominations to Theresa Brown at (817) 222-6403 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
[Reprinting all or part of this news release is permitted, so long as credit is given to the Paint Horse Journal and a link provided back to apha.com.]
The American Paint Horse Association is the world’s second-largest international equine breed association, registering more than a million horses in 59 nations and territories since it was founded. APHA promotes, preserves and provides meaningful experiences with Paint Horses.