After a thrilling run of 17.063, Jasarra Bace and Kim Kar Dashin won the 1D in the annual Paint Barrel Racing Incentive Program Sweepstakes at the 2023 APHA World Show. The 2020 solid buckskin mare, owned and bred by Ed Morgan of Duncan, Oklahoma, brought home an alluring $2,934 in total earnings.
“It feels amazing,” Jasarra said of the win. “We had a good run yesterday, but I knew we could do better today—we came out and she just did her job, and I’m lucky to just be on her.”
This year’s PBRIP Sweepstakes welcomed nearly 90 entries of all ages from across the country compete for their share of a $53,000 jackpot—the largest to date. The composite jackpot also included Texas-Bred and Breeder’s Futurity side-pots with total payouts of $5,000 and $5,400, respectively.
But Jasarra and Kim Kar Dashin didn’t win the biggest paycheck of the PBRIP event. A Tru Honor and Teresa Watson were second in the 2D Open and first in the 1D futurity incentive, earning a total of $4,231.50. A Tru Honor is a 2019 black tobiano mare by Tru Oakley and out of Sheza Dash N Jet (QH).
Congratulations to the winners:
- 1D Champion: Kim Kar Dashin & Jasarra Bace ($2,934)
- 1D Reserve: Kickinthebhrouttaya & Mindy J Holloway ($2,445)
- 2D Champion: Sheltys Smoke & Shawna Robinson ($2,745)
- 2D Reserve: A Tru Honor & Teresa Watson ($4,231.50)
- 3D Champion: Chico Hills & Paisley Jean Weldon ($2,556)
- 3D Reserve: Perks Easy Squirt Bug & Stacy Pontious ($2,130)
- 4D Champion: Dash Of Salt N Pepper & Jasarra Bace ($2,367)
- 4D Reserve: A Sharper Cardinale & Alton Hudson ($1,972.50)
- 5D Champion: Impressmejessetivio & Tammy Walker ($2,178)
- 5D Reserve: SQH Cappuccino & Jessica Walters ($1,815)
Presented by State Line Tack, PBRIP enables barrel racers who run Paints to be a part of APHA without having to attend traditional breed shows. PBRIP-approved events are held across the country throughout the year, offering additional Paint-only payouts and exclusive year-end awards for barrel racers enrolled in the program. For more information on the rewarding advantages to running with Paints, visit the PBRIP website at apha.com/pbrip.
[Reprinting all or part of this news release is permitted, so long as credit is given to the Paint Horse Journal and a link provided back to apha.com.]
The American Paint Horse Association is the world’s second-largest international equine breed association, registering more than a million horses in 59 nations and territories since it was founded in 1962. APHA promotes, preserves and provides meaningful experiences with Paint Horses.