December 23, 2020
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays
When we close the door on 2020, some will do so with a sense of relief and others with a sense of hope that the pandemic, with all of its challenges, might be marching toward an end. In some ways, 2020 has been exhausting. In other ways, 2020 painted a picture of our true selves—a rich, vibrant picture of how our Paint Horse family rallied during one of the worst public health disasters of our time.
So as the year comes to a close, I want to thank you for being a part of APHA. Despite this year’s challenges, it was truly our pleasure to serve our more than 40,000 members worldwide, and it’s our passion to carry on the legacy of the majestic American Paint Horse. Even in an uncertain year, we have continued to provide our members with uninterrupted service and with innovation that has made the entire equine community sit up and take notice.
2021 Virtual Convention announced
Why don’t we postpone it?
At this point COVID cases are increasing in many areas of the country. Postponing doesn’t give us much assurance that we will be COVID free and able to confidently and safely host a live meeting like Convention.
Canceling within a certain period creates a substantial penalty from the host hotel. These kinds of cancelation penalties are standard in the hotel industry. By making this decision now, we are exercising financial responsibility to our membership.
Yes. Committees will deliberate in advance of the Convention. Staff, director and board candidates will present pre-recorded presentations during the Convention. Committee chairs will make live reports and State Directors and members will be able to participate. These meetings will be publicized to the membership.
Not at all. We know the importance of face-to-face deliberation, but with COVID cases spiking, some states not allowing reentry into their state without quarantine and a vaccine unlikely to be widely available until the spring, it doesn’t make sense to put our State Directors at risk when there’s an alternative for 2021.
Standing Committee term limits approved by the APHA Board of Directors
- <> New committee members bring their skills, talents and abilities to the table.
- <> New perspectives emerge by encouraging diversity of background, age, gender, ethnicity and equestrian discipline.
- <> Committee members who have experience with multiple committees bring a richer breadth of knowledge and are better prepared to take on the duties of Board of Director members.
- <> APHA retains the institutional knowledge that keeps committees strong by allowing members of one committee to share that knowledge with another.
AjPHA National Director Nomination Forms Due January 1
The 2021-2022 AjPHA National Director nomination forms have officially been posted! To apply, youth can either nominate themselves with five signatures from other AjPHA members in their area, or a regional club can nominate their youth members. Nominations must be submitted or postmarked by January 1, 2021. To apply, please go to https://apha.com/ajpha/forms/.
- New updates to the Gold Star and Clubs of Distinction awards for 2020.
- Calling all APHA Regional Clubs! Don’t forget to send in your club’s new officers, current membership list, financial report and current club by-laws. Use the links below to provide this information. Keep APHA up-to-date, it’s your responsibility.
“Looking to increase show participation? Want to capitalize on the ranching competition movement?
Then the Ranch Work Championships is your answer. The Ranch Work Championships are an all new timed, all-breed ranch competition. It has been designed to maximize revenue for producers and made to seamlessly blend on the front or the back of a pre-existing event. Visit Ranch Work Championships to learn more or watch our YouTube explanation video. Are you interested in producing a Ranch Work Championships Qualifier in your area? Email Steven Hayes or call 817-222-6432. Step on to the bus headed for a new era in Ranch Horse competition!”
Bought a new horse? Transfer it online!