Simplified eligibility requirements are coming to the 2018 APHA Breeders’ Trust Pleasure Stakes that make this lucrative program more accessible to Breeders’ Trust-nominated Paints and their owners. Now, more Paints than ever can take a shot at the $50,000+ payout at the 2018 APHA World Championship Show.
Who Can Enter?
In 2018, an expanded entry fee structure replaces the Select Sale, all Breeders’ Trust-nominated Regular Registry Paints are eligible to enter the APHA Breeders’ Trust Pleasure Stakes. Additionally, all Breeders’ Trust-nominated solid Paint-breds are eligible to compete with the Regular Registry horses.
The Farnam Select Sale will not take place in 2017; a redesigned sale program will return in 2018.
2018 APHA Breeders’ Trust Stakes Classes
In the absence of the Farnam Stakes Sale, the following criterion will be used to make horses eligible for the APHA Breeders’ Trust Stakes classes beginning with the 2018 APHA World Show (2017 yearlings):
- Horses must be nominated to the Breeders’ Trust to be eligible.
- Entry Fees:
o Yearling year – Postmarked November 1, 2017 – $1,500 payment
Late Entry Fee – Postmarked November 2, 2017 – December 31, 2017 – $3,000 payment
No additional entries will be accepted after December 31, 2017.
o 2-year-old year – Postmarked August 1, 2018 – $1,000 + $225 admin. fee
Late Entry Fee – Postmarked August 2, 2018 until 5 p.m. day before class – $1,500 + $225 admin fee
If entering both 2-year-old classes, an additional $1,000 entry fee will apply.
o Total investment = $2,500/entry + $225 admin. fee
Horses made eligible for the APHA Breeders’ Trust Stakes classes during their yearling and 2-year-old year are able to compete in the following classes throughout their careers.
- 2-Year-Old Western Pleasure and 2-Year-Old Hunter Under Saddle (Payout 75% Open / 25% Limited)
Offered with a limited division as a class within a class.
Limited Division Eligibility Criteria:
—An exhibitor who has NOT, in the past five years, been an:
o APHA World Champion or Reserve World Champion (Open division only – all classes) to include champions/reserve champions in Farnam 2-Year-Old Pleasure Stakes classes, futurities, maturities, stakes, challenges, sweepstakes, etc.
o AQHA World Champion or Reserve World Champion (Open division only – all classes) to include champions/reserve champions in futurities, maturities, stakes, sweepstakes, etc.
o AQHA Congress Champion or Reserve Congress Champion (Open division only – all classes) to include champions/reserve champions in futurities, maturities, stakes, sweepstakes, etc.
o ApHC World Champion or Reserve World Champion (Open division only – all classes) to include champions/reserve champions in futurities, maturities, stakes, sweepstakes, etc.
—NSBA lifetime earnings cannot exceed $15,000. Refer to the current NSBA Rider List on www.nsba.com.
—All Amateur and Youth are eligible (please see all eligibility criteria listed above and below). All Amateur and Youth program rules apply (i.e. ownership/lease and status, etc.) All Amateurs must own/lease their own horse to be eligible to compete. Youth are not required to own/lease their horse to be eligible to compete.
—The Limited Champion or Reserve Limited Champion of the Farnam 2-Year-Old Pleasure Stakes classes will not be eligible to compete as a Limited exhibitor the following year.
- Non-Pro 3- & 4-Year-Old Western Pleasure and Non-Pro 3- & 4-Year-Old Hunter Under Saddle (additional entry fees required)
Beginning at the 2020 World Show, the Non-Pro class option will change to Non-Pro 3-Year-Old Western Pleasure and Non-Pro 3-Year-Old Hunter Under Saddle for eligible horses (additional entry fees required).
- All fees are non-refundable. Administration fees retained by APHA.
- All payments received will be paid out as follows:
- $250/horse will be carried over to Non-Pro 3-Year-Old Stakes class purses.
- 40% allocated to current year’s classes
- 60% allocated to following year’s classes
- All remaining payments, including partial and late payments, will be paid out during the 2-year-old year and split per class based on the total number of horses entered. Class purses split 75% to Open Division and 25% to Limited Division.
- 2-Year-Old Purse—$20,000 added overall, including a guaranteed minimum of $5,000 minimum added per class (Western Pleasure & Hunter Under Saddle) and remaining split based on percentage of entries.